I think it's a good idea to hold an annual BAHRAIN BLOGS AWARDS ceremony, and this is the first one for the year 2004. Here's why:
1. There have been a lot of good blogs to come out of Bahrain recently, and I think it's only fair to give recognition to those that have excelled.
2. Voting is a very rare luxury in Bahrain, so any kind of voting helps foster the spirit of democracy.
3. Although the Bahrain Bloggers are a tight-knit group, and hence there might be a case for frowning on such an evil and individualistic contest, I think a bit of healthy and friendly competition can not do any harm.
4. It might encourage more people to blog, and eccourage those already blogging to keep up the good work (as economics teaches us, free competition is a good thing!).
5. There are some very good albeit relatively unknown blogs out there, and this might help in them getting the exposure they deserve.
If anyone thinks these awards are a lame and pathetic idea, please let me know, and we could reach a consensus on removing them or keeping them!
Here are the criteria I used:
1. The blog must be mainly concerned with or based in Bahrain.
2. The blog must be at least a month or more old.
3. Voting will be open for two weeks, from 25th of December to 7th of January (could feasibly be alternated).
I know, I know, I should've placed this in Bahrainblogs.com, but I have no idea how to do that. Hence, if anyone has the technical knowhow, please do transfer it to Bahrainblogs!
I also do realize that the selections are not the most objective, neutral, or unbiased, but there was an esteemed and world-reknowned panel that spend months of scientific and painstaking reasearch to come up with the final nominations. If anyone thinks the panel unfairly passed over a certain blog or would like to add a nomination, please inform and I will pass the suggestion to the panel (my people will contact your people).
Finally, are there any suggestion for other prizes? I was thinking of a prize for best single post, but I thought that was too lame and broad. Also, maybe an extra nomination of other or Reopen Nominations (RON, where basically the voter is not happy with any of the choices and wants the nominations to be reopened) could be added.
Come on, gather your family members, friends, and colleagues, and exercise your right to vote!